Congratulations! You’ve bought a new home and the big day is coming up fast. If you are stressed, you’re in good company! Selling a home or moving are among the top 20 biggest life stressors. The good news is that help is available. Start by reading this article. Then take a deep breath, and start working on the checklist below. It will help keep you on track and make sure all the necessary things get taken care of.
If you are already less than 8 weeks away from moving day, don’t worry! Just work at the tasks steadily and at a pace that will get it all done in time. And as always, know that we are here to help.
8 Weeks Before You Move
- Get estimates from moving companies – ask for referrals to reliable movers in your area.
- Budget for moving expenses.
- Open a file to collect all moving-related expense receipts and other paperwork.
- If you are leaving your area, start researching key contacts in your new neighbourhood, including utility providers, municipal offices, etc.
7 Weeks Before You Move
- Put together any personal records that may need to be transferred: medical, dental, pharmacy, etc. (Don’t forget your pets’ paperwork from the vet.)
- Get referrals to new medical/dental professionals in your new area, if necessary.
- Arrange for transfer of school records.
- Ensure you have all necessary legal and financial paperwork relating to your house in one place, accessible for reference throughout the process.
- Call your insurance company and notify them of the upcoming move. There may be changes to your policy.
- Begin cancelling or transferring club memberships, and notifying organizations you are associated with of your new address. (Note dates and log phone calls below.)
6 Weeks Before You Move
- Begin de-cluttering. Separate items into three piles: KEEP, DONATE, and THROW OUT.
- Take garbage to the dump.
- Plan a garage sale and/or make a run to a donation centre near you.
- Start using items that can’t be moved such as frozen foods, bleach, and aerosols.
- Plan to do only basic grocery shopping from now until moving day.
5 Weeks Before You Move
- Order boxes and moving supplies. (Ask us if you aren’t sure where to get these!)
- Begin packing items you don’t use.
- Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it is destined for.
- If you have flexibility and have not already done so, select the date of your move.
- Arrange your mail forwarding service with the post office. They may forward automatically or hold your mail at a chosen location.
4 Weeks Before You Move
- Be sure you have booked your moving company.
- Notify these utility services of your move at both old and new locations (Depending on the municipality, some of these services may be combined) :
- Water: __________________________________________________________
- Electricity: ________________________________________________________
- Cell phone:_________________________________________________________
- Cable/Satellite and internet:_____________________________________________
- Garbage Collection:___________________________________________________
- Make travel arrangements for any pets.
3 Weeks Before You Move
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives, and poisons. Be sure to drop these off at the appropriate hazardous waste depot. You should not ship these materials.
- Make sure your vehicles are road-worthy: oil changed, tuned up, brakes, etc., safe.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Notify these professionals:
- Financial Planner:_____________________________________________________
- Health Insurance Provider:_______________________________________________
- Insurance Agent:______________________________________________________
- Notify these services/accounts:
- Auto Finance Company:_________________________________________________
- Bank/Finance Companies:______________________________________
- Credit Card Companies: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Health Club:_________________________________________________________
- Home care service providers (lawn, exterminator, snow removal etc.): __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Housecleaning service: __________________________________________________
- Monthly memberships:__________________________________________________
- Notify these government offices:
- Municipal Tax Office
- Vehicle Licensing Office
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Put together a file of important documents, especially any that were promised as part of the transaction, for the new owner of your current home. (Warranties, service records, owner’s manuals.)
1 Week Before You Move
- Call the movers to re-confirm details and get final instructions.
- Contact your bank or credit card company if you are planning to pay for your move by debit or credit card.
- Notify friends and family of your new address and phone number.
- Pack an essentials box to keep with you during the move (Be sure to have any necessary medication and first aid supplies, along with snacks and items to keep young children busy).
- Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment, gas grills, heaters, etc.
- Drain water hoses and waterbeds.
- Measure furniture and doorways to determine if larger pieces will fit through the door.
- Empty and defrost the freezer.
- Fill any prescriptions you will need during the move.
- Place carpet, floor and door frame protectors throughout your home as required.
- Provide a cell phone number to at least one of the movers on-site in case they need to reach you during the day.
- Be sure movers know which items should be loaded first, as they will be the hardest to access.
- Check every room and closet one last time to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Leave a note with your new address so that future residents can forward mail if necessary.
- Clean your new home, make sure everything is in working condition and make any repairs before your moving truck arrives to unload.
- Pick up any mail being held at the local post office.
- Unload your items and begin organizing your new home!
After the Move Checklist
- Keep all receipts and documents in your move file and store it with your legal documents.
- Get a new driver’s license and make sure to change your address on car ownerships, health card, etc.
- Enjoy your new home!